Tuesday, September 16, 2008

O For a Thousand Tongues!!

Lord if I had ten thousand tongues,
I could not praise You for what you've done,
And it would take eternity
To tell of all You've done for me.

This is a really nice song that we've sung a couple times at church. It's a song that I kind of remembered us singing mostly when all the churches in our district come together. Not sure why, but that's basically the only time I remember singing it. Anyway whenever I sing it, it reminds me of an old hymn of the church that says, 'O for a thousand tongues to sing, my great redeemer's praise." Another one that I also love from my days of going to the Moravian church with my grandmother.

These are both great songs, and they are based on the premise that we couldn't praise God enough even if we had ten thousand tongues. However in thinking on the words of these songs one day, I asked myself, but why ten thousand tongues? Why even a thousand tongues?


God has given us one tongue with so much power in it.

We can praise God over and over and over again with just one tongue. One tongue has the ability to do so much for God.

We have not even used up or explore the potential of only one tongue to effectively give God glory.

I believe one tongue, sanctified by God’s Holy Spirit, can bring Him so much glory.

One tongue armed with God’s word can do so much damage to the kingdom of darkness.

Only God can tame my tongue, but He has given me the power and the strength to discipline it.

I intend to work with God, become a partner with Him and let Him use my one tongue for His honor and His glory.

The tongue of the wise brings healing. Truthful lips endure forever.
Proverbs 12:19&19


Lord, I offer my lips to you. Thank you for your help in keeping my lips from speaking guile. May I bless you Lord at all times and may Your praise be continually in my mouth.


blessings,
Vickie

1 comment:

Terri Tiffany said...

Wonderful truth again! I hope you are submitting some of these out there! Have a great day!