Friday, June 4, 2010

Pieces from Proverbs 3

My son do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and humankind. Proverbs 3:1-4


I want to live a long life. I want to live to see my children and my grand-children grow and live long lives too. I've changed my eating habits over the last 8 months or so, I now go to the gym a couple times a week and recently I've started walking for an hour between 5.30 and 6.30 in the mornings. After years of struggling to discipline myself, I now take my vitamins daily and all in all I have lost a total of about 13 pounds fitting better in my clothes. I've done all this to help improve the quality of my life and hopefully the length of it. However there's one other thing that's more important than all of these. There's one other thing that will profit me more than any of the things I've mentioned above, and that's keeping God's commands in my heart.

The book of Proverbs plainly states that keeping God's word hidden in your heart and applying it, leads to long life, peace and prosperity. Which of us wouldn't want to live until Jesus came? Which of us wouldn't want to live that life in peace? Which of us wouldn't want to live long, peacefully and prosperous as well? I would, for sure I would. The word promises not just length of life, but quality of life. There's the absolute assurance of favor with both God and man if we would wrap ourselves in the His word.

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.


I never for one moment think that my feeble attempts at eating better and exercise etc is all that's sustaining me. Everyday I thank God that He is the One Who is giving me life, health, breath and strength to even do these things. It's the word of God applied to our lives, it's His wisdom when we use it that will bring nourishment to our bones. As good as our vitamin D levels may be they're no match for a steady dose of the refreshing, life-giving word of God.

Friends it is never too late to start. It took me years before I got to the point of making it a habit to eat healthy and take supplements to make up for what I wasn't getting in my food. Start now. If your health is poor, if your life is lacking, if you need a boost, take God at His word. His commands will not only give you quantity of life, it will give you quality as well. If your priority has been your physical man reset your priorities and concentrate on your soul. Paul tells us bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. (1 Tim. 4:8)

As I mentioned yesterday, it is no good storing up treasures for this life only because they get corrupted and the thief will come and steal them. Wisdom was one of the first of God's created works. He used wisdom in creating the heavens and the earth. HE used wisdom in setting this worlds' order and He is willing to give us that same wisdom. That wisdom will revolutionize our lives.

Just ask for it, receive it and use it.

Have a blessed weekend. Don't forget to fill up on the Word of God.

Vickie

No comments: