Saturday, October 9, 2010

Seek His Kingdom First

"The earnest, (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available (dynamic in its working).
Elijah was a human being with a nature such as we have (with feelings, affections, and a constitution like ours): and he prayed earnestly for it not to rain, and no rain fell on the earth for three years and six months.
James 5:16 & 17 Amp.

It's quite a while that I took a break from blogging, but it's been on my heart. I truly believe that God has directed me here to use this forum as a means of lifting Him up, encouraging myself in Him, and encouraging anyone who would choose to read. 

However, at the start of the summer, I really felt as though blogging wasn't a priority anymore and honestly, it wasn't. It had become a chore and sometimes felt like a burden. I didn't have the joy like I did before.

So I pulled back and plugged in to God more. 

I felt unfulfilled and restless in my soul. I wasn't walking in disobedience that I knew of, but my life didn't seem to be going in any clear direction either. I know what God has called me to do but there were so many obstacles in the way of following and fulfilling it.

So I just went back to foundation of my faith.

 I went on my knees in prayer and the Holy Spirit led me straight to the answer: "But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given up besides." (Matthew 6:33)AMP

I was getting diverted from seeking God's kingdom first.
I had to look away from seeking to be used by God and look towards just being close to Him. Everything else could follow.

During that time, He confirmed a few things that were troubling me.

He confirmed the local church where we should be planted as a family. (This was a huge thing because we had been searching for a while and just didn't feel like we really belonged anywhere)

He revived my dream and my gift of teaching, but doing a phenomenal thing and leading me to start a college course towards a teaching degree. 
Not just a teaching degree but one in Early Childhood Education. This was my hearts' desire for as long as I knew myself, but over the years it was as though it had disappeared. Then I heard a message and God used it to stir my heart and awaken that dream that I thought had probably died.
Now it is totally confirmed in my heart and with the help of the Holy Spirit everyday I see that christian pre-school that will lay a foundation in the hearts of the young ones.
Even as I am working towards this college degree, I am being grounded in the Word at Bible School in preparation.

I found myself on my knees day and night throughout the summer crying out to God, because I saw in His word that earnest, heartfelt and continued prayers brought results, so I decided I would be obedient to the Word.

I also read about the example of Elijah.He was an ordinary person, who prayed earnest, heartfelt and continued prayers that it might not rain, and you know what? The word said he got what he asked. It didn't rain for three years and six months. He was no different than you and I.

I am taking God at His word. He is the same God that answered Elijah's prayers, so why wouldn't he answer mine? Sure enough He did. 

You know why? Earnest, heartfelt, continued prayers keep us in the presence of God. Just what He wants. When He sees us seeking His heart, then His hands open freely, then our spirits can hear from Him more clearly where He wants us to go and what HE wants us to do.

I just needed to take the time to seek Him out. He promised that if I commit my way to Him, He would give me the desires of my heart.

 For you as well. As a child of God, these great and precious promises are also for you. 

I don't know where you are at in God today, but whatever your heart's desire, look away from that and look to God. 
Draw closer to Him, focus on Him and He will focus on you. There is no other way around it, no short cuts. 
Seek His Kingdom first.

Blessings
Vickie

7 comments:

Mari said...

Hi Vickie! It's great to hear from you again and read up on what's happening in your life. I like what you said about looking away from what you want and looking to God. That's so hard, but so worth it in the end!

Vickie said...

Sure right you are Mari. It isn't easy at all.

Bless you
Vickie

Unknown said...

Vickie - So good to see you! I've missed seeing you around the blogosphere. You're wise to realize that we have nothing to give unless we've been to the Source! Welcome back & God bless you! :)

Vickie said...

Bless you Maria! Good to see you too. I've missed the blogging but I am slowly going to make my way back.


blessings
vickie

Amydeanne said...

hey thanks for the comment! I hope all is well in your end of the world!

lioneagle said...

Hi Vickie -

I found you on Terri Tiffany's blog.

I love this piece. Your heart spoke and it was felt. You are so on point about our Lord being first and we must commit daily to devote ourselves to Him and His agenda.

Nothing and no one is more important than intimacy with Almighty GOD.

Thank you for this powerful piece.
Thank you also for loving the Lord, our Savior!!!

Terri Tiffany said...

I missed you! It is so good to read about your journey with the Lord.