Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Word-Filled-Wednesday.......Lord, to whom shall we go?

From this time many of His disciples turned back and no longer followed Him.
"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.
Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God."
John 6:66-69

Jesus had been teaching on eternal truths that hit the Pharisees and other religious people really hard. He had basically told them their ancestors ate manna in the desert and died but whoever fed on His bread will live forever. The disciples murmured among themselves about the difficulty of accepting this kind of teaching. After all, it was totally different from all the religious rhetoric they had heard before. So many of them turned back from following Him.

Jesus looked at the Twelve asking if they too wanted to leave Him, and Peter answered that question with a question, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

Today, even as I face many issues in my marriage, in my finances, in my home, and I search for solutions, my heart asks the question too, "Lord, to whom shall I go?" While I pause, waiting for an answer, my heart replies, "You Lord, have the Words of eternal life." My hopes, my dreams, my desires, all that I ever want and will ever need is found in Christ.

I have found no other to be as trustworthy.
I have found no other to be as faithful.
I have found no other to be as willing.
I have found no other to be as loving.

There is no one in life that's equal to Jesus. It took me a long time to stop depending on family and friends for help in time of need. I know that should I need them, there are people in my life that's willing to be of help, but my heart has resolved not to trust in chariots or in horses but in the name of the Lord my God.

His Word of eternal life is my complete source today. I find the answers to every question I have right in the word.  His words are more precious to me than counsel or advice from the most qualified person. His Holy Spirit guides me, comforts me, leads me and teaches me what I should do.

Jesus said, "These words I speak, they are full of Spirit and life." (John 6:63)

Today some of us are experiencing loss of jobs, loss of homes, divorce, death of loved ones, sickness and disease, depression, fear of the unknown, unfulfilled desires among other things.  These are things that cause people to turn their backs on Christ sometimes because they blame Him or sometimes because  the answers are too long in coming. As we wait on Him, Jesus asks of us too, "You do not want to leave too, do you?" I pray we all answer like Simon Peter, "Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

My eyes and my heart are fixed on God.
My prayer today is that no tribulation, peril or disaster will cause any of us to look away.
May we stay faithful to the One who is forever faithful.


You can join Susan our hostess for other WFW posts.

Have a blessed WFW
Vickie

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What wonderful and uplifitingBible verses and thoughts. Thank you :)

Joyfull said...

Love this verse. What a beautiful blog you have! Blessings to you today.

Bobbi said...

WOW...thanks! God is in a class by Himself..AMEN! Happy WFW!

Tammy said...

Wonderful post. It reminds me of an old hymn I know, called "WHERE COULD I GO BUT TO THE LORD?". Thanks for sharing.

Michele said...

RealLy enjoyed reading your WFW.

Terri Tiffany said...

I liked this because it hit home. When my husband first lost his job, I expected God to fix it immediately. When that didn't happen, I started expecting our miracle to come from anyplace else, friends, family, contests etc. Well, that didn't happen. Finally I realized God is the only constant in my life and was still there. I know he will see us through this:) Blessings to you!

Missie said...

Amen! Thanks for your WFW!

Amydeanne said...

amen! very uplifting Vickie!

Susan said...

This was one awesome devotional. Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

So full of TRUTH!!!

Thanks so much for joining us today at WFW. Have a blessed day♥

Mari said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these verses. There is none like God!

Yolanda said...

Vickie,

This beats with my heart this morning as I posted earlier. I trust God. PERIOD.

Lord, to whom shall I go? You are MY LIFE.

Love to you,
Yolanda

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Precious one, your eyes are fixed on the right and good direction... Jesus Christ. Truly, he is our Peace for the journey!

Thanks for leaving a comment at the blog. You are always welcome there.

peace~elaine

lioneagle said...

Greetings -

This is a vital reminder. Thank you, Vickie. GOD is the SOURCE -
all else is a resource.

Romans 8:35
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

Romans 8:37
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors, through him that loved us.